Search This Blog

July 1, 2011

Torture Chamber

Last year a doctor recommended I start doing massages twice each month and because my doctor wrote an order for it, my massages were covered by insurance.  I know right now you are probably thinking "lucky!" but that is the last thing I think!  There is a reason I titled this blog "Torture Chamber".  Massages to me are a discipline because I have to let someone touch me in all my most sensitive areas, like my back. My first massage was quite an experience...I spent fifty minutes on the massage table flopping like a fish every time the therapist moved her hand.  Since then I have noticed improvements.  Massages are still painful, but the therapy is working in addition to my medications and the rest of my treatment.

I went to my massage place yesterday and had a new therapist do my massage. I have been bad at following the twice each month order, but yesterday I had interesting results.  The massage was fairly standard, the therapist was nice, my back twitched a few times and we talked about my disease.  After the massage I felt totally fine, but about four hours later I was hit with a ton of bricks.  I was all of a sudden freezing cold, emotionally and physically drained...my body needed sleep.  I slept for two hours and woke up soaking wet in sweat.  I was ready to go back to bed when I woke up but I was starving.  I knew my body was doing some awesome detoxing!  The rest of the night was more of the same.  

I am so happy to report that today the surface area of my back sensitivity has shrunk again! I have a long way to go to being pain free on my back BUT I know it is working.  I have never had such positive outcomes after "torture chamber"  ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to read this!! I can't wait to give you a big hug and not have to worry about squeezing you too much!

    ReplyDelete