Search This Blog

October 11, 2011

Secret About Sickies


Long before I ever knew I was sick I heard of a special event for people who have cancer getting free makeovers to make themselves feel beautiful even with hair loss and all the treatment they were receiving.  I thought this was a wonderful idea and always remembered that great charity event whenever I saw a woman in public who was bald because of cancer.  I love the idea of embracing beauty and helping a woman to feel beautiful on her hardest, most sick days.  When a woman feels beautiful, nothing can bring her down!

I don’t want to downplay cancer at all, I think that treatment is very rigorous, but the truth is there are many “invisible illnesses” that exist in which the treatment effects woman just harsh as chemo.  These diseases include, but are not limited to, MS, Lyme, Lupus, ALS, fibromyalgia, etc.  These illnesses are called invisible because it’s not easy to detect them.  Most likely, someone with this diagnosis will appear tired, run down, often seen in their pjs if they make it out in public.  Others, who are having a good day, can be very sick, but appear completely “normal”.  You will hear of their diagnosis, but will not really understand it.  I saw a bumper sticker today that said, “Lyme…you will not get it until you get it”.  This is so true and applies to all invisible illnesses!

The point I am trying to make is, don’t limit the charitable makeovers only to women with cancer.  Last week, my mother-in-law paid for me to get a mani and a pedi as an overdue Christmas present.  Over the last seven or eight days I cannot tell you how many times I have looked at my French-manicured fingers and my bright pink toes and instantly felt a little better. 

Today has been an awful day, but I can honestly say I am so grateful for having pretty toes and fingers because it makes me feel beautiful.  I rarely have the energy to do my makeup, hair, or pick out a fierce outfit, but by-golly, while I sit in bed and fight my Lyme disease I am going to FEEL BEAUTIFUL and that is so important to the healing process. 

Please, I challenge each and every one of you to reach out to someone who has an invisible illness and buy her a new lipgloss, take her to get a nail treatment or makeover.   It doesn’t have to cost money, you could give her a manicure yourself. Seriously, you will make their month many times over because every time they look at their fingers or toes she will feel like the beautiful woman she is. You may not understand her diagnosis, but you can help her to fight a little harder in her treatment.  

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete