Search This Blog

September 25, 2012

I Am Grateful Today

Today has been a hard day.  My port was de-accessed, cleaned and re-accessed just like it is every Tuesday, however, I am experiencing more pain with each needle dressing change. I have had a lot of pain, nausea, some blacking out, just overall blah. But, I am right on track with feeling like crap as the full moon comes closer.   In a previous post, I mentioned how crazy the full moon can cause all sorts of bizarre symptoms. For the second day in-a-row I haven't really made it out of bed all day. Today has been extra rough because my pain and nausea are up, but that does not stop me for being grateful for the life I have and the support from friends and family.

Sometime in our early marriage, Justin and I had a pastor speak truth into our relationship.  He taught us we needed to be grateful for the life we have and give thanks for everything even when we can't find the positive in the situation.  This is so key to understand, particularly with a sick spouse or a difficult life circumstance it is important to think positive because none of us deserve the life we have.  Jesus died on a cross and took on all the pain and sin we deserve and he washed us clean...meaning there is eternal life for those who believe in Christ Jesus.  For me, especially on hard days, I try to remember this verse in Ephesians 5:20: "And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"

Here is my dad in Miss Deon the Neon.
This verse specifically says to give thanks for EVERYTHING. All the good and all the bad.  It seems so strange, but it is so relieving to think this pain and sickness will not last forever.  I will have a day when this is going to be better.  Either because I will die and go to heaven or because I will beat this disease and enjoy life to the fullest!

Today, I have one huge thing to be thankful for! A new car that will keep me safe and will be a great little car to re-learn how to drive again in.  I have not had my license taken away from me, instead I just listened to my body and knew that if there was a pedestrian, my brain signals would not make it to my foot in-order-to put on the breaks before hitting the poor person in the crosswalk.

I have driven occasional short distances over the past 1.5 years so it is exciting I am even thinking about driving again. Thank you so much to my Aunt Robin and Uncle Dave. Also, thank you Dave Rikalo and Justin for driving the car down from Seattle for me.  Now when I feel safe to drive I will have a small car to do so in!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you.
    You never cease to inspire us.
    Justin is an awesome man and husband.
    It shows.. just in the support for you alone.
    And Dave, you are pretty cool too! ;]

    Keep the posts coming Elizabeth!
    You are in the thoughts and prayers of many!

    :]
    Christine Gamez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Elizabeth...again, I want you to know what an inspiration you are to me. My best friend says I'm such a trooper going through what I'm going through but it is nothing, absolutely nothing compared to what you are going through. You are so young and it breaks my heart to know the pain and hardship you are experiencing; this includes Justin because I know what you may experience personally still affects him closely. I am so glad you have the faith you do; it truly does make a difference. God bless you both and thank you for your sharing your strength and faith in all that you are going through..love, Aunt Brenda

    ReplyDelete